Chain Recipe of the Month – Walkabout’s Chicken Parmigiano
Every month here at the Gourmet Society, we get creative in our kitchens and draw from our chain restaurants for inspiration for new seasonal dishes. Today, using the inspiration from the sunshine streaming through our windows, we’re pulling together one of our absolute favourite options from Walkabout’s menu – the delightful Chicken parmigiano. The Italian classic that the Australian inspired food chain has taken into their hearts and recreated for diners across the UK.
Walkabout’s Australian themed bars appear across the UK as chilled out places to meet up and enjoy a hearty helping of Aussie delights. Whatever the dish Walkabout makes it their own; freshness and fun are the key components of the menu.
Walkabout’s version of today’s recipe of the month is a breaded chicken breast topped with ham, melted cheese and tomato salsa.
We’d love it if you gave this a try – but if it all goes wrong, never fear. You can get 25% off the total bill at Walkabout all week with your Gourmet Society card.
Ingredients (To serve 2 of you)
- 2 chicken breasts, pounded to about 1 inch thick
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 finely chopped garlic clove
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp of dried oregano
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 25g plain flour
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 50g grated mozzarella or cheddar cheese
- 25g grated parmesan
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan. Add the chopped garlic clove and gently cook for 2 minutes.
- Empty the can of chopped tomatoes into the pan and also add the oregano. Season with the salt and pepper to taste, and stir thoroughly. Cook over a low/medium heat for 20-25 minutes until sauce is thick and appetising.
- Meanwhile, coat the pieces of chicken in flour, shaking off any excess. Next dip into the egg, and then finally dip into the breadcrumbs, ensuring the chicken is evenly covered everywhere.
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Heat enough olive oil for shallow frying in a frying pan. Fry the chicken on both sides until golden.
- Then, add the chicken to a roasting tray and pour over the tomato sauce made earlier. Sprinkle over the grated cheeses and place in the middle of the oven. Bake the chicken until the cheeses have melted and the chicken is cooked through thoroughly, which should take about 10-15 mins.
- Serve with mixed salad leaves, tossed in a little vinaigrette and perhaps a side of your choice. Walkabout serve with fries or a mini salad.
Not so great in the kitchen but like the look of this? Don’t worry! Our members get 25% off the total bill at Walkabout meaning you can sample the real thing – for less! Discover your nearest Walkabout venue by visiting us here.