Recipe of the Week – Prezzo’s Chocolate & Banana Mini Calzone
As part of Gourmet Society’s official Bake Off, we got busy in the kitchen cooking up cakes and sweet treats from some of our favourite restaurants. Each week, we’re going to share the tricks of the trade with our followers, so you can recreate your favourite desserts at home. This week, it’s Jonny’s Chocolate & Banana Mini Calzone, inspired by the delicious classic dessert from Prezzo’s menu.
Chocolate & Banana Calzone
Jonny’s Chocolate & Banana Calzone were a little more like South American empanada than Italian calzone – but they were still super delicious! He used pastry to make his gooey chocolaty parcels, but if, like Prezzo, you prefer to use pizza dough, the outcome is just as tasty!
For the pizza dough
500g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon dried yeast
400ml warm water
1 tablespoon oil
- Put the flour and salt in the bowl and mix the yeast into the water.
- Pour the liquid into the flour and knead until it comes together as a ball. Knead for about 10 minutes until the dough starts to look shiny and springs back when you press it.
- Oil a bowl and place the dough in it, turning it over until it’s lightly coated. Cover tightly with cling film and then a tea towel. Place in a warm draught-free area that’s and leave until the dough has doubled in size.
For the Filling
2 tablespoons flour
60g chocolate spread
3 large bananas, sliced
1 tablespoon sugar
- Sprinkle a flat surface with a handful of flour and roll out the pizza dough. Divide into medium sized circles.
- Spread a generous dollop of chocolate spread in the middle of the circles, and top with banana slices. Put another spoonful of soread on top of the banana and fold over the dough, pressing the edges down with a fork to seal the calzone.
- Whisk the egg in a bowl and use to brush the top of the calzone, before sprinkling with a little sugar. Bake in the oven at 200c for about 20 minutes, or until the dough has turned golden brown.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of chocolate sauce if feeling luxurious!
Had a go at baking our recipe? Share some snaps of your results on our Twitter page at @GourmetSociety!